Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tamales!!

 It was pretty cool making the tamales. I decided to make chicken tamales with a red chili sauce as a starter. Since I only saw them made and ate them while growing up, I wanted to stay on the safe side.
The steps to make tamales are not complex and much of the time the meat was cooking or the husks were soaking I was able to go play with my daughter and son or just get some things done.  I love that!



I used a recipe that called for oil instead of lard.  Obviously this was to be healthy, but I think that the lard provides more moisture than the oil. So I did have to add more water to the masa than I think I would have had to with the lard.


Having said that, I think that my next batch will be a little more moist. This first time was fun and I am going to go for another bunch with a more juicy and flavorful taste.  

Who knows? I might even drive some around to some friends of mine and see what they think!
If you ever get the chance to make tamales (even if you are not 1/4 Mexican), you should definitely try. It's like Chef Gusto says in "Ratatouille" - Anyone can cook! 



I look forward to trying some different versions of tamales and experimenting with new flavors. You can put any meat you want on the inside of a tamale. You have room to be creative and that is what I love about cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment